Frequently Asked Questions about Social Skills Group Programs

Q: Who can attend the programs?
A: Children with a diagnosed or suspected Learning Disability/ADHD as their primary diagnosis without major behaviour or emotional regulation issues. Acceptance is determined through
an intake process to ensure a good fit between the needs of the child and what the program can deliver (see below).

Q: What is the definition of a Learning Disability?
A: Children with a Learning Disability have average to above average IQ but have a neurological deficit in one or more areas of learning. To see the Learning Disabilities Association of Canada’s
official definition of a Learning Disability, click here.

Q: What training do the Social Skills Counsellors have?
A: The counsellors are post-secondary students who are generally studying in the fields of Education, Social Work, Recreation, Rehabilitation and/or Psychology. They are given training
prior to the start of the program and supported throughout the course of the program by the Provisional Psychologist facilitator.

Q: Which program is the right one for my child?
A: The Let’s Be Social program emphasizes the development of appropriate social skills. The Transitions to Junior High program has a social skills component but also has an emphasis on
developing skills that are challenging for many children and teens with LD/ADHD such as time management, organizational skills and study skills.

Q: What are the expectations of the parents?
A: While the parents do not stay for the program (except for the first day of Let’s Be Social!), there is weekly communication with parents about what has been learned and activity suggestions to try at home. Participants will get much more from the program if the skills that they are learning on Saturday are talked about and reinforced by parents during the week. Helping your child to attend as many classes as possible is also important. The skills taught build upon one another from week to week so missing a session can make an impact.

Q: My child takes medication for their ADHD during the school week but we usually don’t use it on the weekends. Is this alright?
A: We require that if your child is normally on medication during the school day that they also take their medication on days when they are attending the Saturday Social Skills Programs. We
find that the participants gain much more from the program this way.

Q: What should my child bring with them?
A: Your child must bring a pair of indoor shoes. If they want, they may bring a (nut-free) snack and water. All electronic devices should be left at home. They can interfere with the learning
that should be taking place during the sessions and will not be allowed.

Q: Can this program be claimed on my medical benefits?
A: Because these programs are overseen by a Registered Psychologist, many people are able to claim them on their health care benefits. Check your plan to see if you have psychological
services as a benefit, the amount that will be covered and whether it requires pre-approval.

Q: Do the Social Skills Programs qualify for FSCD funding?
A: Some parents are able to obtain FSCD (Family Support for Children with Disabilities) funding for their child to attend our Let’s Be Social program depending on the determined needs of
their child. Contact your FSCD worker to see if your child qualifies. At this time, FSCD requires that parents pay for the program initially and get reimbursed through FSCD upon the program’s

Q: Do you accept payment plans?
A: Contact us and we can make arrangements that work for you. The full cost of the camp will need to be paid prior to the end of the program.

Q: Do you offer subsidies/bursaries?
A: Yes, through the generosity of donors, we are able to offer financial assistance to families who require extra assistance. Bursaries depend on income and the number of people in the

Q: What is the intake process?
A: The intake process is designed to ensure that there is a good fit between what the program can offer and what the child/youth needs. We will ask for copies of psychoeducational
assessments, IPPs, report cards from school and permission to speak with your child’s teacher. We ask parents questions like: How does your child do socially? What is your biggest concern?
Has the school expressed any concerns? How do you deal with your child’s behaviour?

Q: How do I begin the intake process?
A: You can call 403-270-9400 ext. 252 and ask to speak to the Program Intake Assistant.