Inside LD for Educators
Online PD Learning at Your Own Pace
Resources on this page
Understanding Learning Disabilities (LD) is so much more than a list of strategies. This course will explore current research of the brain-based underpinnings and cognitive functioning of LD to increase your understanding of the WHY and the HOW of strategies to increase student success With a solid understanding of these two factors, strategies are more successful. Reduce teacher burn-out by building your understanding and increase student success by increasing your capacity to support students with LD. With one in ten students having LD, this online course can benefit all educators.
Our self-led online course, Inside Learning Disabilities for Educators takes you inside the world of Learning Disabilities (LDs) at school: from facts and diagnosis to co-occurring conditions and LD strategies for the student and the classroom. It has been designed for educators to increase your understanding and familiarity of LDs, the impact LDs can have on academics, behaviour, and well-being; and the evidence-based strategies and tools to increase student success and your success as a professional.
- Introduction to LDs: Causes f LDs, LD Facts, Statistics and trajectory
- Specific LDs: Recognizing a student with LD, diagnosis, psycho-educational assessments
- LDs and Executive Functions: Executive functions overview, development, executive malfunction, academic impact
- LDs and Cognitive Proficiency: Working memory, Processing speed, Impact on learning
- Strategies to Support Students with LDs: General and specific strategies, environment, instruction, and assessment considerations
- Social and Emotional Functioning & LDs: Impact of academic failure, the social impact of LDs, supporting students with LDs
- LD and Associated Disorders: Commonly co-occurring conditions, ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc., diagnostic criteria
- The Learning Brain: Neuro-myths, stress and the learning brain, neuroplasticity, brain-based teaching
- The LD Brain: The reading brain, the writing brain, the math brain, interventions to support each
- Set-Up for Success: Barriers to success, Universal Design for Learning, evidence-based practices: what works in education for typical and unique student populations
The course has been broken down into 10 modules. Each module is estimated to take approximately 3 - 4 hours to complete. All modules will be accessible from the date of your registration and progression through the modules occurs sequentially. You can work on each module on your own time and at your own pace for as long as you need. Each module offers activities including viewing a Prezi presentation, a brief quiz, additional readings and/or resources and a short assignment or discussion post. An ADHD expert is on hand to answer any questions. Students will also engage in online discussions with other students. This course is not graded, however, in order to earn a Certificate of Completion, all activities must be completed.
Registration is ongoing.
Teachers, administrators, educational assistants, and psychologists and counsellors who work with students.
- $275 for teachers, administrators and psychologists
- $175 for Educational Assistants, Early Childhood Educators and university students (must register with a university email address). Enter the Promotion Code DISCOUNT for this reduced rate.
Group rates and private groups are available. A private group can encourage team building, collaboration, and a shared language for staff at the same school. Please inquire about pricing.